Author Topic: The State of Multiplayer  (Read 1785 times)

Blue Fox

• View Profile
The State of Multiplayer
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »
Just wondering to what extent I should expect FS2 to work in multiplayer.

Im currently running FS2 on Windows Seven and the PB 1.3.6.4b patch.

FS2 works great in IA, but any attempt at starting a LAN game is met with an empty "choose your vehicle" screen, and the inability to choose any race at all.

I remember FS 1 had some limited but very fun multiplayer capability-it would be a shame to lose it.

Am I doing something wrong?

~Thanks

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
Re: The State of Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:27 AM »
since PB6.4 all the mp vehicle list files changed format.

Any maps or mods with custom vehicle lists would need to be converted to the new format.

You can open the patch13.pak and look at the new stock mpvehicles.odf and see the new format, and find FS/FS2's vehicle lists and convert them to make it work.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Blue Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »
Alright, I fixed the format of the vehicle lists, and now I can see and select vehicles in the multiplayer menu. I also updated all the map BMP's to the modern format so the maps don't appear as purple and yellow checkers anymore. (Thanks for the direction.)

My next problem is that now whenever I start a strat map, I appear in a sabre without a recycler - regardless of what vehicle I chose. I'm confused because all of the DM maps work great, and even the MPI maps work great (aside from the missing AIP's).

I could really use some help on this--any advice?

I've been looking into the map .inf files, but I am starting to doubt that's where the problem is.

Lastly, how difficult would it be for me to get the AIP's working? As I understand it there's a big format difference between AIP's for IA and AIP's for MP--is there a handy conversion tool out there somewhere?

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
Hmm, sounds like the Strategy DLL file isn't loading.

Open the BZN and find .dll in it, see which DLL the strategy maps use, and make sure it exists.

No, there is no difference between IA/MPI AIPs.

Blue Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
It was trying to reference "strategyfs.dll" which didn't exist, so I copied over the default "strategy02.dll" and renamed it to fit.

It fixed the problem, and now I can start any FSST map normally, but when I copy everything over to another machine and try to join I get kicked because of bad assets.

What can I do to avoid bad assets?

(also was that the appropriate fix? I'm just a newbie.)

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
Hmmm....

The bad asset issue I believe may be a bug in 1.3 PB6.4c. Wait for the next 1.3 patch to come out and try again.

It *might* work for now if you don't use pher ran at all.

Blue Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
I retraced my steps and found what seems to be causing the bad assets (on both PB6.4b and PB6.4c). I had messed with some hadean odfs but I returned them to normal and most everything is up and running. Just a couple things left to clean up (I hope).

Foremost, when I try to start a match as the hadeans it gives an error along the lines of "Your team has no commander" and "evrecy_m.odf not found". The odf does not exist, and copying the normal hadean recycler odf and renaming it to fit causes bad assets (although it solves the problem locally).

The phaer rhan Overlord does not spawn.

In MPI, it claims to be missing "stock 13_it0.aip". I can see an AIP listed as "flesh_it0.aip". How can I use that instead?

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
one of the map svars is the aip base name.