Author Topic: Modelling Software  (Read 5256 times)

k00kev

• View Profile
Modelling Software
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »
It is now nearing 2012, and alot of the old links for some software are dead.
I was wondering if someone could recommend what they use to model and texture ships?
I'm talking program, its version, etc. Where to download shouldn't be a problem once you
have the version down.

I'm looking at using Blender? I have 3dsMax 09, is that of any use?
There's so much converting and etc.
I just want to export and import existing models

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling Software
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:54:34 AM »
I use four programs for modelling and three for texturing. Unfortunately, a lack of skill with modelling limits me to changing existing stuff.

3D Exploration: This is best used primarily as an XSI viewer.
ThreeD (also known as BZ2ME): If you can get it to work, this is a viewer with cut-and-paste modelling capability. It's responsible for the slightly hacky-looking models in mods like Starfleet, but it's capable of being more subtle too.
Arachnophilia (non-java 4.0 version): This program is capable of hex editing, which means it can be used to edit mesh files. It's only usable for swapping out textures, and the textures have to have the same length of name.
Notepad: Probably the best XSI editor around. Feel free to replace it with Notepad2, Notepad++ or similar; most of these will work too.
Quote from: Katrina Cooke
The Cerberi. Fate's cruel and heartless practical joke on humanity. And this? This is the punchline.

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
Dummy's Tools should have an XSI Exporter for max.

not sure of the link of that though, might try a google search.

As for importing to max, 3d Exploration can view XSI's and export them as .3ds, which are then imported to max and rotated 90 degrees on X axis.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Josiah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Quote from: General BlackDragon
Dummy's Tools should have an XSI Exporter for max.

not sure of the link of that though, might try a google search.
http://dummyworld.net/programs/?category=Battlezone

Quote from: General BlackDragon
As for importing to max, 3d Exploration can view XSI's and export them as .3ds, which are then imported to max and rotated 90 degrees on X axis.
ACTUALLY, they are set up correctly, cause their pivots are also rotated 90. It's just kinda hard to work sideways, which is why ppl usually rotate them. If you do rotate the model to align them with the world, make sure you also rotate the pivots; if you don't, it'll be sideways in bz, which, of course, you don't want.

oh, if you can get your hands on 3ds max 2010, I'd highly recommend ditching 9, cause there are a few things in 2010 that are just astounding, and 9 doesn't have them. just my unhumble opinion... ;)

k00kev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
Okay;
Autodesk 3Ds Max 2010 - to model (Cannot find a download for it)
3D Exploration - To convert existing .xsi to .3ds for Max
And as for texturing new models, I'm a bit lost - But, we can get back to that one, since I'm not very good with making my own skins yet.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:31:27 AM by k00kev »

k00kev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
Everytime I go to download 3D exploration, no matter what version, I get;
"Cannot open file C:\Program Files (x86)\3D Exploration\Uninstal.exe"

Which either means it's trying to uninstall what doesn't exist on my computer, or there's something wrong with the link. I think the formal is more likely though.

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
I have had that a number of times, it's really awkward and I've never found a way around it other than to keep trying. First make sure you're running as an administrator, then try another version.
Quote from: Katrina Cooke
The Cerberi. Fate's cruel and heartless practical joke on humanity. And this? This is the punchline.

Josiah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
Okay;
Autodesk 3Ds Max 2010 - to model (Cannot find a download for it)
yeah, I think autodesk only has the latest version for trial downloads; you'll have to find it some other way...

k00kev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:00:49 AM »
yeah, I think autodesk only has the latest version for trial downloads; you'll have to find it some other way...

Yeah. I've checked many sources. If the pirate bay doesn't have it, I don't know what will.

In all honesty, I've begun using TrueSpace 7.61. I followed semi-short tutorial on the calagari website,
and it's simple enough to use. I've already made a model, I just haven't textured it, nor have I converted it
to a .xsi. I can export to .x
I'm a little stuck since my computer doesn't want to download any version of 3D Exploration.
Balls.

Found the fix. I'm using a Windows 7, and I read that 3D Exp. is an olllddd school program. So, I downloaded the installer
onto my desktop, and ran it in compatibility mode for Windows NT. Lo and behold, I've the program downloaded now
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:14:43 AM by k00kev »

k00kev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
So I decided to try exclusively using Truespace 7.61. It's actually a really easy program to use, and it seems like you can add HPs and skins on the ships right on the program itself. I'm looking into it right now.

From Truespace 7.61, I export as a .x file (the window immediately after should have the file format set to text) which I then
open in 3D Exploration and export as a .xsi.

--But that's only after I learn how to add the hps on Truespace.
Right now I export as a .x, then from 3Dexp. I export to a .3ds, which I import to 3DsMax 2009, add the hps, export as a .3ds again, and then from 3Dexp to .xsi.

Warfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:02:35 AM »
The thing about using programs that cannot directly export is within all the conversions it can loose data / be altered severely making the end result unusable and eventually forcing users to find a way to compensate from step 1.

k00kev

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »
The thing about using programs that cannot directly export is within all the conversions it can loose data / be altered severely making the end result unusable and eventually forcing users to find a way to compensate from step 1.

Perhaps, but I've successfully got it fine and working with only the texture missing. And if I can get the texture on there straight from Truespace, then I'm all set. The only issue I'd see in the loss of information would come exclusively from animation, but I'm not anywhere near there yet. Definitely something I'd love to learn though.

The other forum that is all about Truespace and BZII, the person in charge of it, has been trying to make a .xsi exporter from Truespace. I wish them the best of luck, and I wish I could help - alas, I've not much know-how on the subject.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:01:25 PM by k00kev »

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
I animate in notepad :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

k00kev

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
I animate in notepad :)

I've heard of people doing that. It seems like it'd be beyond complicated.

Warfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
Actually, its relatively simple so long as you know how to write out the coordinates and the specifications of animation. Its with skin animation that things get hairy, as only notepad can do it. You have to define the weights, the vertex packets and the animation data of the anchor. The mid being the hardest of them all.