Author Topic: QF AI project  (Read 5319 times)

M4BHoward

• View Profile
QF AI project
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
Hello BZrs!  I'm currently working on a project to make the Queen's Filchers into an AI opponent.  The AIPs seem fairly easy (just converting stock 1.3 to QF with a few minor tweaks,) but I have one problem I can't figure out: How do I put the Queen's Filchers into the CPU opponent list?

I've seen this type of thing done in FS and in FS2... Which files do I need to mod, and how?
Every Noob has his day... :D

bigbadbogie

Re: QF AI project
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:04 AM »
qvrecycpu
qbrecycpu

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
qvrecycpu
qbrecycpu
Ok... sorry to be noobish, but what kind of file is this? (ODF, .txt, .cfg...) I found a .txt file (recylist.txt) which switches custom human recyclers, but I have yet to find the file that switches the CPU rec.  Which file do I need to access in order to add "q v/b recycpu"?

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
ODF. I've never programmed AI apart from some very brief AIP modification, but I presume it is the presence of these files and relevant AIPs that allows them to be detected as a CPU recycler.

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Thanks AH! I'll search for the standard "i v/b recy" and see what copy paste can do. :D

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »
qvrecycpu
qbrecycpu
Which file do I need to access in order to add "q v/b recycpu"?
*BBB facepalms self and thinks how much more simple could it be*
ODF. I've never programmed AI apart from some very brief AIP modification, but I presume it is the presence of these files and relevant AIPs that allows them to be detected as a CPU recycler.

After painstakingly searching through several PAK archives, I just took the stock ODFs "qbrecy" & "qvrecy", copied them, and changed the new filenames to "qbrecycpu" & "qvrecycpu".

Now the QF show up as an AI opponent.

THAT WAS EASY *presses button*

Thanks to BBB and AH for taking time to help a noob!  I'll post my AIPs as soon as I've worked out the bugs.

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Bear in mind that ODFs open in Notepad, making it one of BZ2's most useful modding tools.

AIPs can also be edited with Notepad, but I prefer to use the AIP Editor, which offers a much more user-friendly approach despite the loss of some more advanced features.

EDIT: Removed the double [[s. I've spent far too much time editing wikis.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:07:28 AM by AHadley »

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
Yeah, ODFs are fun! :D

I certainly haven't figured out every ODF code... there's a lot of 'em. :P  Still, I've poked around a bit.

I've got a few concepts for a multiplayer-balanced QF (armory, modability, sniper rifle with kill radius of 0.5 :P...) However, I'll wait to post THAT until I'm finished modding, and have gotten BBB's permission to publish. (After all, it is HIS mod.)

I have downloaded AIP editor.  It is still a bit difficult to use (I sometimes have trouble figuring out whether a plan depends on the humans having a bomber, or the computer having a bomber,) but I suppose trial and error will eventually teach me. :D

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
Ok... AIPs are A LOT harder than they look at first glance. 

However, after I got the Recycler to stop building BANDITS (don't even ask...) the QF are a pretty intense enemy!

I've just got to get a few bugs out (first the sbay, then the conv, then the tlab...), then I have the Late game AIPs to do, and THEN I'll hand it over to BBB.

P.S. It is SWEET to fight against clout-wielding AIs! :D

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
Ok... I'm sick of the AI recy spitting out things the factory should spit out.  Anyone know what causes a recy to spit out assault tanks? 

I'm tired of it. :P

Otherwise, the AI is coming along fine. :D

bigbadbogie

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »
Ok... I'm sick of the AI recy spitting out things the factory should spit out.  Anyone know what causes a recy to spit out assault tanks? 

It's all about the build requirements. Due to an oversight on my part, many QF units do not require that a factory be built first in their ODFs, even though those units are built by the factory.

The AIPs don't care about that, they only care about the build requirements.

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »

It's all about the build requirements. Due to an oversight on my part, many QF units do not require that a factory be built first in their ODFs, even though those units are built by the factory.

The AIPs don't care about that, they only care about the build requirements.

So in lacking the right facility they build from the next closest thing? Good to know if that is what happens.

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »
Easy fix for that, then.

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »
Thanks BBB!  I'll sort out the ODFs.

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
Ok... maybe I'll have to live with a funny build sequence: that Rec just keeps spitting pariahs. :P

I added the factory as a new requirement, but it does not seem to help. 

Is there any other possible fix for this?