Author Topic: trying qf mod on pb6  (Read 8740 times)

GENERAL MANSON

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Communitys for Battleozne 2
trying qf mod on pb6
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Looks ok so far except before I start a mission or try to put in a pilot i get this.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1409/qfmodonpb6.png

Josiah

• View Profile
Re: trying qf mod on pb6
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
besides the need of converting all of the textures to dxt, it appears as though the wrong texture is mapped to callisto planet. check the missions.odf file, and find the model referenced; then find it and check the texture

GENERAL MANSON

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:29:28 AM »
besides the need of converting all of the textures to dxt, it appears as though the wrong texture is mapped to callisto planet. check the missions.odf file, and find the model referenced; then find it and check the texture

bbb will have to do all of this since he needs to update it for it to work on pb6. When I played the 1st mission or tried it was unplayable with the green yellow and etc everywhere. Couldnt even snipe the scout :(.

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:46 AM »
As Josiah said, DXTs are necessary. Surely you are an advanced enough user, especially having been a 1.3 tester, to be reading changelogs, and to *know* that DXTs alone are read by the engine?

Also, that looks like a transparency error. Try re-DXTing that texture.
Quote from: Katrina Cooke
The Cerberi. Fate's cruel and heartless practical joke on humanity. And this? This is the punchline.

TheJamsh

• phpBB EPIC_core_team
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »
As Josiah said, DXTs are necessary. Surely you are an advanced enough user, especially having been a 1.3 tester, to be reading changelogs, and to *know* that DXTs alone are read by the engine?

Also, that looks like a transparency error. Try re-DXTing that texture.

That tends to happen if a texture is left as 32-bit, but doesn't actually have any alpha channel or transparency in it. Always save them to 24-bit if you want to avoid that error

Click Me!

GENERAL MANSON

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
lol me re-texture all of this Im flattered really lol.

But with all of my RL habits I don't have the time to invest in any of this so I will just wait until someone does them. All I have time for is testing with friends once a day if I get lucky.

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:41:15 AM »
Why is it everybody thinks DXTGen is difficult to use? And requires its hand holding all the way through? Load textures, select output, click go.
The Cerberi. Fate's cruel and heartless practical joke on humanity. And this? This is the punchline.

GENERAL MANSON

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
lol me re-texture all of this Im flattered really lol.

But with all of my RL habits I don't have the time to invest in any of this so I will just wait until someone does them. All I have time for is testing with friends once a day if I get lucky.

Not sure how much more clear I can get.

"
Why is it everybody thinks DXTGen is difficult to use? And requires its hand holding all the way through? Load textures, select output, click go.
"

I dont have time to get the program and I have more important things to do do make textures work for a mod. All I have time for is to test and thats all I care for. Asking me to do anything else is more time that I cant afford. I dont think its difficult to use simply because I dont have time for it and dont care for it since my MAIN DUTY IS TO TEST. Got it?

Now excuse me I have work to get back to. I wake up at 6 am every morning so later.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:04:56 AM by GENERAL MANSON »

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
Take QF Mod, unzip it to a folder, run DXT on folder, zip up DXT textures which are all dumped into 1 output folder. Upload

Takes less then 5 minutes.

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
Take QF Mod, unzip it to a folder, run DXT on folder, zip up DXT textures which are all dumped into 1 output folder. Upload

Less if you go and do something else while it works :P

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
Lol... DXTBZ2... :D

I just have one question before I download THIS mod and DXT it: can the DXTGen suck files directly from the PAK, or do I need to manually remove them?

I know extracting works, but it does take a little while to poke through the entire PAK for textures.  With my new understanding of addon folders, it would be VERY convienient to simply run the converter on the entire folder as you said.

Less if you go and do something else while it works :P

Have you actually performed this particular operation?

------->M4BHoward
Every Noob has his day... :D

TheJamsh

• phpBB EPIC_core_team
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
You can extract the entire archive in a .pak file (see the extraction options), and you can even make it extract only files of certain types. Unfortunately modders seem to be unable to use one texture format and stick to it, so the extensions would be:

.pic
.png
.tga
.jpg
.bmp

Click Me!

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »
You can extract the entire archive in a .pak file (see the extraction options), and you can even make it extract only files of certain types. Unfortunately modders seem to be unable to use one texture format and stick to it, so the extensions would be:

.pic
.png
.tga
.jpg
.bmp

Cool! :D

I'll get on it right away.

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »
Have you actually performed this particular operation?

What the hell? Of course I have. As have 98% of the rest of the modders around here, I'd imagine.

M4BHoward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
I was referring to sucking textures directly from the PAK using the DXTGen.

I just wanted to clarify whether or not THAT operation was possible.

Of course I know you've done DXTGen before.