Author Topic: February progress report  (Read 9555 times)

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: February progress report
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
I wouldn't have to climb the hills, but that mission only gives you a short time to get through the canyons before the ship takes off.

The ship takes off either at a set time or when you get too close to the launchpad.  IOW you never see the ship no matter what...  it's always gone when you get there and "I" the Launchpad, which then tells you the database is gone.

You DO get to see the ship leave in BZC, though.  At least, for now you do, as it might become part of the 'enhanced campaign' only since many people want the initial BZC release to be as close to the stock missions as possible.  I'm not totally decided yet...

There's an Easter Eggish sortof thing in that mission, which most people don't see.  All you have to do is to really push the clock before "I"-ing the Launchpad...  When you get down to a few minutes remaining on the clock Simmons decides you need some help and attacks the Soviets to create a distraction...  a suicide run to buy you time.

-Av-

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Simmons!!!!!!!!

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Rocket

• BZ2 Fanatic
  • Never judge an enemy by the size of the radar blip
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
Simmons!!!!!!!!

how is yelling Simmons relevant? :P
You DO get to see the ship leave in BZC, though.  At least, for now you do

I wanna see it! :)
When you get down to a few minutes remaining on the clock Simmons decides you need some help and attacks the Soviets to create a distraction...  a suicide run to buy you time.

it isn't that sucidal, i believe that he is in the later missions..

if you are still having trouble with the pilots not getting into the APC in the "three beacons" mission, may i advise using a dll that when the pilots are told to walk towards the apc, that once they get close enough, the DLL deletes them, but if they are killed by the player or anything else before 3 seconds after they walk towards the apc, then the mission ends and you are court martialled.
-- Hidden Defenders Mod Leader
-- Lordtac's RV Contributor.
-- ARC Mod Contributor

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
That's what I have, a script that does exactly that.  It worked perfectly.

At least it did, prior to PB4...

Something changed, such that 'follow', 'goto', 'defend', that sort of thing, doesn't cause the soldiers to approach the APC anymore.  They just stand there, staring at the APC...  where before they headed for the APC and the DLL removed them 1 at a time as they got within 10m of it.

This is the fun of developing to a patch in progress, where every little thing can become broken at any time.   I seriously may have to add a custom animation showing them moving forward to get it to look right, as I've tried everything I can think of.

(sigh)

-Av-

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
That really should work...

Click on the image...
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

bigbadbogie

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
Try using my Shuttle/Turret technique to have an invisible empty ship attached to the APC that the pilots will try to get into but can't.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:02:20 PM by bigbadbogie »

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:47 AM »
The thing is, issuing an order to goto SHOULD WORK.

If you have them going to the APC, try having them go to the position of the apc after getting the APC's position and storing it into a vector.

Click on the image...

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
I've tried all but the invisible empty ship trick...  that's a good one I hadn't thought of.  :)

At first I thought it was them simply respecting the collision radius of the APC, but a custom APC proved this wrong.  Experiments show that any unit told to 'go to' or 'follow' or 'defend' will maintain a decent distance now rather than try to occupy the same place as their target.  This might be due to some change to the engine, since I can't find any mention of such a thing in the changelog.  It actually helps most uses of those commands, it's just this odd case that doesn't like it.

But the empty invisible ship trick is a good one...  I can spawn one under the APC and then just, er, 'remove' the pilots as they hop in.   :)

Thanks BBB, that's a great suggestion!

-Av-

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
Why don't you just tell them to go to the wold position of the APC instead of to the APC?

Click on the image...

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »
Why don't you just tell them to go to the wold position of the APC instead of to the APC?

I tried that.  They're staying back a bit from the APC.  That's why I thought the collisionradius of the APC might be in play, but changing it doesn't change how far back from the APC they stay.  I thought about zapping the APC driver but that seemed cruel also, and plays heck with the Fkeys.  I haven't tried dropping an empty invisible vehicle under the APC but that's the next step.

-Av-

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
Odd... But understood.

Click on the image...

GENERAL MANSON

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Communitys for Battleozne 2
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
Headphones are best. (Headset preferably)

Rocket

• BZ2 Fanatic
  • Never judge an enemy by the size of the radar blip
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »
Headphones are best. (Headset preferably)

??.......
-- Hidden Defenders Mod Leader
-- Lordtac's RV Contributor.
-- ARC Mod Contributor

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
What the hell are you on about?

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 01:08:29 PM »
I just thought of something.

Put a real APC class there and issue the Get In or whatever the order is to the soldiers.

EDIT: I thought of this when someone mentioned making an APC drop units, sniping one, and getting orders from the APC to attack or to 'get in' where he subsequently disappeared and 'died'.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:09:29 PM by nielk1 »

Click on the image...