Author Topic: welcome to how to make a BZ2 mod  (Read 2713 times)

Lizard

welcome to how to make a BZ2 mod
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:10:06 AM »
now that we have a nice new board for this subject I'd like to lay down a few ground rules

first and foremost this board is meant to be a repository of knowledge to help people make their own BZ2 mods, that means no spamming, anyone caught spamming will not only have the offending posts deleted I'll ban them from the forums with no warning for an unspecified amount of time. The purpose of this board is to help people and to best do that it needs to be easy to navigate and find information so try and keep the relevant information in the relevant threads, anyone abusing this and making more work for me will recieve a snotty PM and the threat of a ban. 

I'm going to start a discussion on how best to organise the data on this board, in the meantime could folks please refrain from posting random threads as it'll just make everything more difficult to sort out when we come to a decision .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:11:36 AM by Lizard »

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
Re: welcome to how to make a BZ2 mod
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:57 AM »
I figure a tutorial list structure with well meaning topic titles, like:

Complex:DLL:C++:Portals
Medium:DLL:Scriptor:Portals
Easy:ODF:Cloaking Craft

Meaningful topics would be stickies while less meaning full ones would not.

I still leave this up to Lizard though.

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:49:59 AM »
Maybe you should have sections for each format, so...

Objects (ODF)
Scripts (DLL)
Textures (TGA, PIC, BZ2DXT)

Or by the difficulty of that part of the tutorial, so...

Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Quote from: Katrina Cooke
The Cerberi. Fate's cruel and heartless practical joke on humanity. And this? This is the punchline.

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:04:06 AM »

Or by the difficulty of that part of the tutorial, so...

Novice
Intermediate
Advanced

I think this kind of classification is a bit pointless any notion of difficulty is purely subjective, people find different things easy or difficult, what's hard for one person could be simple for another.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:04:56 AM by Lizard »

Arbystrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »
I agree on classifying Scripts, Textures, and ODFs.

And for ODFs, we should have a looooo(5 minutes later)ooong list of all the ODF commands and where to put them in, and what they do, etc etc. I'd read that.

.:.RKA.:.SeanTheGreat

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
Same, but I don't think you cant handle the long page arby :P. j/k

I think that's a great idea.

AHadley

• Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Controller Node
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
Yeah. And I agree with Lizard on the difficulty thing.
Quote from: Katrina Cooke
The Cerberi. Fate's cruel and heartless practical joke on humanity. And this? This is the punchline.

Rocket

• BZ2 Fanatic
  • Never judge an enemy by the size of the radar blip
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:57:39 AM »
And for ODFs, we should have a looooo(5 minutes later)ooong list of all the ODF commands and where to put them in, and what they do, etc etc. I'd read that.

Someone already made a list and it is downloadable somewhere, but I dont know where.

it is quite old and it may not have all the commands that the newest bz2 version has (1.3pb4a obviously) one command i could list is the hover constructor line... i THINK that greenheart made it, not sure....
-- Hidden Defenders Mod Leader
-- Lordtac's RV Contributor.
-- ARC Mod Contributor

bigbadbogie

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 01:34:27 AM »
Just read Commandos modlog.

Arbystrider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »

Someone already made a list and it is downloadable somewhere, but I dont know where.

it is quite old and it may not have all the commands that the newest bz2 version has (1.3pb4a obviously) one command i could list is the hover constructor line... i THINK that greenheart made it, not sure....

Okay, give me the DL if you ever find it... (EDIT: I don't care if it is old or not)

And for the Textures, can you add in a few tips on how to make a texture have the same theme as the rest of the race's vehicles? (E.G.: Tips on how to make Scion textures for the Scions.)

EDIT:
Same, but I don't think you cant handle the long page arby :P. j/k

I think that's a great idea.

CAN or CAN'T?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:04:31 AM by Arbystrider »

VSMIT

• Factions
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Resident Mac Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 03:26:17 AM »
Umm, Arby, why don't you do research on it yourself?  I'm sure you'd be able to find it eventually.

Quote from: Arbystrider
And for the Textures, can you add in a few tips on how to make a texture have the same theme as the rest of the race's vehicles? (E.G.: Tips on how to make Scion textures for the Scions.)
Make it look like other textures?  That's the best advice I can give you aside from just using stock textures on your buildings.

VSMIT.

IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.