Author Topic: another problem with MAX  (Read 7352 times)

bigbadbogie

Re: another problem with MAX
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 12:01:27 AM »
It really depends on the size of the xsi file. I have had 1100 poly models at about 600kb big that work... but I have also had 900 poly models at 800kb that don't work.

Try to keep it below 900 polys if you can... but bigger ones may still work.

VSMIT

• Factions
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Resident Mac Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 03:15:56 AM »
Hey, you don't have to make it your last question.  If you ever need help we're here to help.

Look forward to seeing your stuff.

VSMIT.

IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Lizard

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
having said that, since Softimage got bought out by Autodesk and Autodesk only bought the rights to current stuff like |XSI Softimage 3D might be considered abandonware now.

WOW... We need to get official word from the company that it is so, and if it is, we can start increasing the number of 3D modelers for BZ2 by a lot.

yes certainly don't take my word for it, you'd need some kind of official confirmation.

the thing that made me think nobody owns Softimage 3D anymore was an email I got from softimage concerning the buyout by autodesk, more specifically the following :

Autodesk will acquire and plans to continue developing the following Softimage products:
•    SOFTIMAGE|XSI, including XSI Essentials, XSI Advanced, XSI Academic, XSI Mod Tool and the XSI software development kit (SDK). XSI offers a complete 3D modeling, animation, rendering and development environment.
•    SOFTIMAGE®|Face Robot® software, which enables the creation of life-like human facial animation quickly and easily.
•    SOFTIMAGE®|Cat

See, no mention of Softimage 3D at all, which is hardly surprising considering it's all but obsolete - the BZ2 community are probably the only ones with any real use for it now.

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
800 for units and 1000 for buildings is the safe. More modern computers can handle more, but if you are not careful, you will get the polygon overflow issues like QF has where so many trees are on screen at once random bits of terrain or props disappear and re-appear. You have to really go insane to do that though. *Stares at BBB*

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Lizard

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
there's no polygon limit for BZ2 models there is however a vertex limit which stands at around 2,000 or so .

aslong as you make LOD's for your models you can get away with making them quite detailed , polygon limits really aren't such a problem for BZ2 these days unless you start messing with the visibility range then things can get a bit choppy to say the least .

personally I'd try to stick to the 1,000 polygon region for most models which should be adequate for most things , sometimes it's better to have one really high polygon object rather than lots of low polygon objects - for instance trees, a model of a group of 20 trees will produce less slowdown than 20 individual tree models.

TheJamsh

• phpBB EPIC_core_team
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
also, remember that a really good texture can make a 200 poly model look more like a 1000 poly model. you just gotta learn the tricks

unfortunately. i dont know them :P

Click Me!

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
there's no polygon limit for BZ2 models there is however a vertex limit which stands at around 2,000 or so .

aslong as you make LOD's for your models you can get away with making them quite detailed , polygon limits really aren't such a problem for BZ2 these days unless you start messing with the visibility range then things can get a bit choppy to say the least .

personally I'd try to stick to the 1,000 polygon region for most models which should be adequate for most things , sometimes it's better to have one really high polygon object rather than lots of low polygon objects - for instance trees, a model of a group of 20 trees will produce less slowdown than 20 individual tree models.
ok, that's good because i was able to cut it down to about 400(there were a lot of unnecessary polygons after all)

good news the model is almost done except for the wrapping, should be posting soon ;)

Lizard

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »
cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

TheJamsh

• phpBB EPIC_core_team
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 09:39:32 AM »
same here

Click Me!

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
ok uploaded some pics of a tank i made recently

this tank is entirely custom

icon, model, textures, voices all done by me

http://www.bzcomplex.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=73 

TheJamsh

• phpBB EPIC_core_team
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
we cant see it...

need an album password apparently?

Click Me!

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »
reallly, ill try to take it down

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »

TheJamsh

• phpBB EPIC_core_team
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 07:15:45 PM »
hey lookin good, if thats what you do in a short space of time id like to see long-term shizzle!

Click Me!

Lizard

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
for some reason I haven't been able to get on BZ complex just recently, there's been a couple of sites I haven't been able to access.

www.bzcomplex.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

*  Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

*  Are you certain this domain address exists?  Its registration may have expired.

*  Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

*  Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?  Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:19:26 PM by Lizard »