Author Topic: another problem with MAX  (Read 8009 times)

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
another problem with MAX
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
this is the deal.

1. Got Windows Vista Home Edition 64bit

2. Got Autodesk 3DSmax 2009-64 bit

3. Got xsi exporter from Dummyworld and put in plug-ins directory(just like i had it in the 2008 edition)

4. Every time i start max it gives an error message saying ("xsi_exporter is not a vaild win32 applictaion")

5. no clue how to fix this
plz if anyone can help me, i need it bad as i can not make models with out this working(unless you know another way)
any help at all will be greatly appreciated 

bigbadbogie

Re: another problem with MAX
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
Could be a bug in the exporter.

warfreak

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »
hmm, that is VERY strange.

I personally still use 3DS Max 7 on my win32 Vista Rig.

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
ok here was my quick fix

i installed the 32 bit version of max, seems that the exporter works nice with it

but this version of max does not work nice with my vista system

so if anyone cares how fast i make models(i do) then again, any help would be appreciated  

bigbadbogie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
I guess there is no working exporter for 64-bit Max.

Maybe if you can get ahold of the guy who made it, he might be able to fix it.

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:45:26 AM »
do all your modelling in 64 bit max and use 32 bit max for final export, this seems like the best solution for now, someone might be able to make an exporter for 64 bit max but it's not something you can necessarily rely on.

considering some of the hoops that some folks have to jump through to get working models into the game you've got it pretty easy really - at least you don't have to animate stuff using notepad or use about 4 or 5 different programs just to convert your model . :P

bigbadbogie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 05:55:33 AM »
If you want organic animations you will need notepad, and lots of it. But that is probably irrelevant to you.

warfreak

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
OR, you can be like Lizard and hunt down a copy of Softimage XSI. (one from 1999 mind you :P)

One stop modeler for ANYTHING Battlezone. (or ancient for that matter.)

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »
BBB is the reason I can even do vertex animations :D

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »
OR, you can be like Lizard and hunt down a copy of Softimage XSI. (one from 1999 mind you :P)

first it was Softimage 3D not |XSI

and secondly MAX is probably a far better solution now not having organic anims is no big loss for a game like BZ2, I'm not even sure if Softimage 3D would run on modern systems - there isn't much stuff from back then that does anymore, not without major hassles anyway.

Even I use |XSI 5.x and |XSI 6.x these days.

having said that, since Softimage got bought out by Autodesk and Autodesk only bought the rights to current stuff like |XSI Softimage 3D might be considered abandonware now.

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »
having said that, since Softimage got bought out by Autodesk and Autodesk only bought the rights to current stuff like |XSI Softimage 3D might be considered abandonware now.

WOW... We need to get official word from the company that it is so, and if it is, we can start increasing the number of 3D modelers for BZ2 by a lot.

Click on the image...
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »
do all your modelling in 64 bit max and use 32 bit max for final export, this seems like the best solution for now, someone might be able to make an exporter for 64 bit max but it's not something you can necessarily rely on.

considering some of the hoops that some folks have to jump through to get working models into the game you've got it pretty easy really - at least you don't have to animate stuff using notepad or use about 4 or 5 different programs just to convert your model . :P
seems like thats what ill be doing, and i guess your right about me having it pretty easy lol.
If you want organic animations you will need notepad, and lots of it. But that is probably irrelevant to you.
cant i just animate it in max....I hope so.
This recycler i made is going to need a nice animation for the deploy.

bigbadbogie

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
You can make regular animations in Max without much trouble.

Just that it can't export organic (vertex) animations and they need to be done manually, although they are pretty advanced and likely of no use to you.

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
You can animate in max, you just have to set the controllers to the right type. TCB I think. Scale is useless, in fact before you animate anything be sure to rest the transform matrix (or maybe it was the other matrix) (you have to do this one part at a time, muli-selection don't do it).

I make cubes with __h in their name that I move around if I want to do a vertex animation. I animate them like any other part of a model, but then in notepad I associate them with vertexes of things and I get the scion type look. I evolved my method from BBB's information.

In short, yes, you can do simple rotation and position animation in max just be sure to set to controllers to TCB. Be sure that no part of your model has scale data or else in game it will not respect that data. Best way is to never animate a model until it is looking right and working in game as a non-functional prop.

Click on the image...

Smiffy Bagels

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
You can make regular animations in Max without much trouble.

Just that it can't export organic (vertex) animations and they need to be done manually, although they are pretty advanced and likely of no use to you.
You can animate in max, you just have to set the controllers to the right type. TCB I think. Scale is useless, in fact before you animate anything be sure to rest the transform matrix (or maybe it was the other matrix) (you have to do this one part at a time, muli-selection don't do it).

I make cubes with __h in their name that I move around if I want to do a vertex animation. I animate them like any other part of a model, but then in notepad I associate them with vertexes of things and I get the scion type look. I evolved my method from BBB's information.

In short, yes, you can do simple rotation and position animation in max just be sure to set to controllers to TCB. Be sure that no part of your model has scale data or else in game it will not respect that data. Best way is to never animate a model until it is looking right and working in game as a non-functional prop.
alright so i can do something like rotate a wing on something in max right? cool, one last question what is the polygon max count for bz2, this model has 1,072 in it, so should i even bother with it?
sry, this is my last question then i swear im out of your hair and ill be posting some screens 2