Author Topic: January Progress report.  (Read 15849 times)

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
Re: January Progress report.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »
Yes.

I just saved hundreds of dollars on car insurance by switching to Geico.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMFQgwMktT0

:lol:

*****General BlackDragon*****

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
Lol ...well back on topic.... it would be sweet to have this on my 16th birthday in April.

When abouts? I'm 27th, I figure you're a few days older than me.

.:.RKA.:.SeanTheGreat

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »
18th

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
I'll have to remember to wish you a happy birthday =]

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
:D I want you to gimme a present :).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:25:13 PM by .:.RKA.:.SeanTheGreat »

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »
dont think so matey, sending it would be bloody expensive!

cheesepuffly

• BZ2 Fanatic
  • Cheese Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
Personally in my opinion you should work on in this order (not telling you what to do)

SP, IA then MP.
Currently playing: Mass Effect 2
Currently waiting for: Patapon 3
Currently making: Chezoria Mod

I like big CHEESE AND I CANNOT LIE!

Don-Don-Chaka-Chaka

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
I work the oppisite way

cheesepuffly

• BZ2 Fanatic
  • Cheese Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 09:22:02 AM »
The reason i say that, is most mods the SP is the most memorable part. (I.E. QF) Then some people may wanna play a controlled match so they will want to play IA, and they also probably wanna play IA because they cant find anyone on multiplayer who will play that mod with them (I.E. also QF)

Don-Don-Chaka-Chaka

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 02:34:37 PM »
I agree with Sean.

You make MP first to get everything working and balanced and solidify our rules, then IA to get the AI working, then single player which will use the balancing from MP and in some cases the AIPs from IA.

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

cheesepuffly

• BZ2 Fanatic
  • Cheese Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
I learned something today.

Not that though.

But thanks anyway.

Don-Don-Chaka-Chaka

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »
I agree with Sean.

You make MP first to get everything working and balanced and solidify our rules, then IA to get the AI working, then single player which will use the balancing from MP and in some cases the AIPs from IA.
Yep, exactly what I do with mods.

I find it easier to work on the ODF's, then the textures/models/AI then work on the story.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:19:37 PM by .:.RKA.:.SeanTheGreat »

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
I suppose that's not a bad way to go when making a totally new mod...

Which is not what I'm doing... 

I'm recreating something that's already around, and in some cases that means I'm deliberately making imbalanced parts to match what was already imbalanced.  I expect a lot of complaining that things aren't AS imbalanced as they were in the original...  :)

I also would like to point out that you need serious testing to balance/perfect MP play, and you often won't attract those testers without something to get them interested in the mod.  SP and IA missions give the players a chance to get used to the race before going out in public, and they get them interested in your work.  That leads the player, at some point, to look for online games as a better challenge for his new skills.

So, I think it can work both ways, and personally I'd like to have a fairly complete skeleton when I try a new mod.  So, no SP missions or IA are a real turn off for me even if it has great MP.

-Av-

Lizard

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »
I agree with Sean.

That's totally wrong infact it couldn't be wronger, in order to properly balance multiplayer or whatever you need a full set of assets which take a long time to create, if we were to do things in the way you suggest it would add a huge amount of extra time to development it's a completely illogical approach.

With singleplayer you can start developing with an incomplete set of assets , so basically you can develop the assets and single player campaign in tandem with eachother, once you have a full set of assets then you can then start worrying about things like MP balance as this is pretty much the last job you need to be doing, it's the icing on the cake not the foundations of the mod (unless of course you are making a multiplayer only mod).

When creating a mod proper planning is absolutely essential if you hope to last the distance, if you try to create a finely balanced multiplayer mode before you start on the rest of the work you'll be burnt out before you even get to the real meat of development. Multiplayer balance is a very long winded ongoing process that can take months to finely tune with a large number of regular testers, most mods don't have the luxury of that kind of intensive testing so trying to make a balanced MP mode is not even a realistic possibility .

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:11:24 AM by Lizard »

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 06:09:02 AM »
When creating a mod proper planning is absolutely essential if you hope to last the distance

Truer words have never been typed...  I've said it over and over again that a good skeleton means a quality mod...  you need to put the time and thought into what/how/where/when, in that your race has to have a solid foundation and a 'theme' or 'look and feel' to it to help keep things balanced and consistent.

if you try to create a finely balanced multiplayer mode before you start on the rest of the work you'll be burnt out before you even get to the real meat of development. Multiplayer balance is a very long winded ongoing process that can take months to finely tune with a large number of regular testers, most mods don't have the luxury of that kind of intensive testing so trying to make a balanced MP mode is not even a realistic possibility .

See, I'd forgotten about that...  so many Mods start up, make a web page, and then fade out.  I've been working on BZC so long it's just part of me, but someone starting up a new Mod will quickly run into that energy-sucking-vortex that occurs when you get started making the mod and it hits you just how much more work you have to do.   :evil:

Start with a plan, take it slow, be careful about burning out, and if you can build a good team to help do so...  just remember that they'll hit the wall also and may be very erratic or just disappear completely.

-Av-