Author Topic: BZ Classic  (Read 15417 times)

.:.RKA.:.SeanTheGreat

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: BZ Classic
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
I dont think pandamic would not want to sue, sense us people and a few vets are the only people who play BZ1 and BZ2.

VSMIT

• Factions
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Resident Mac Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
I dont think pandamic would want to sue, sense us people and a few vets are the only people who play BZ1 and BZ2.
Fixed your quote. ;)

VSMIT.

IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Skynet

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »
and i was under the impression that pandemic made thsi game easily modable on purpsoe right?

Actually no, I'm pretty sure the moddability was an accident, it was just the result of the way they coded the game.
Urban Assault mod lead.

AR(Paused)>http://doomapoc.topcities.com/BZIIAR.html

Lizard

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »
and i was under the impression that pandemic made thsi game easily modable on purpsoe right?

Actually no, I'm pretty sure the moddability was an accident, it was just the result of the way they coded the game.

no it wasn't, BZ2 was deliberately made to be as moddable as possible - ask ken.

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 06:46:24 AM »
I'd agree with that as of the 1.3 patch, but originally we had no access to making models or DLLs without some very very very expensive software, and no examples to go by.

Ken is probably our Prometheus, as he got the XSI pack released (even though he took some heat for not ripping out the Star Wars models first).  He also enabled the aircraft class and provided an example about the same time. 

BS-er made scripting available to the unwashed masses with the Scriptor.  I remember some talk about what he wanted to do couldn't be done but he did it.  In 1.3 GSH made C++ viable with the source DLLs AND some awesome help setting up a free compiler AND some 1.3 enhancements AND some coding help for some of us.

So while BZ2 did have potential it took a lot of after release work to get it moddable at all, as it wasn't really friendly at first.  I guess the intent was there but imagine where we'd be without Ken and Nathan... 

We'd be working OM to death right about now...   lol...

-Av-

Lizard

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 07:18:19 AM »

user made DLL driven missions were available almost from the very beginning chuck noble made a couple of cool missions way back then, the DLL source was available almost from the outset, BZ2 had only been out a few months when the scriptor became available.

- I'm not sure when natty started work on G66 but it may have been as early as 1.1.

admittedly modelling would have been a nightmare if not nigh on impossible without the XSI pack but the MAX plugin was available from a fairly early date ( I think it was originally released the same time as DR2 ).

the fact that the game included a built in map editor and that ODF's and AIP's etc. were editable with a simple text editor seem to indicate that the developers had always planned to make the game as moddable as possible, the rushed release and a bunch of bugs hampered modability somewhat but this was obviously not intentional.

I'd say that BZ2 really became moddable with the 1.2 patch, that is after all when we made FE - the only major drawback at that time was the inability to add extra races without resorting to the error.odf workaround to get extra pilot types into the game.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:19:35 AM by Lizard »

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »
The fact that the game included a built in map editor and that ODF's and AIP's etc. were editable with a simple text editor seem to indicate that the developers had always planned to make the game as moddable as possible, the rushed release and a bunch of bugs hampered modability somewhat but this was obviously not intentional.

I attribute this to it's BZ1 origins/influence.  Much of the 'under the hood' stuff has changed very little, for example entire sections of ODF's came across untouched and the structure of them is virtually identical.  Another example would be that the Shift-F9 screen is virtually identical but lacking some of the functions it used to have (but they're still shown).  BZ2 definately shows it's BZ1 heritage no matter how much or little of the original engine is present.

BZ1 evolved virtually the same way.  A few tools accompanied release such as enabling the editor and providing MAKETRN to paint levels, but no examples of 'under the hood' files and everything was PAK'd up, compressed and encrypted.  A few user tools were developed and then a Patch unleashed a ton of new capabilities (AIP and ODF examples became available).  This led to even better user tools and tutorials.

BZ2 did virtually the same thing but in BZ1's time we didn't have PAK EXPLORER, and the scripting was hard coded into the EXE so no SCRIPTOR or DLL's.  I remember some of those early missions, now that you mention it, but I also remember them not working for me when I tried them.  Still, it's cool that it was available given that scripting was the most desired thing they wouldn't give us for BZ1...

Still, while both games ARE moddable, with BZ2 much more so than BZ1, it's not like some of the more 'experienced' engines where there's almost an industry growing up around modding them.  I personally have found BZ2's methodology to be much easier to grasp than any other game, and I think a single person can do a lot more in it where a team is practically required to make any progress in those other engines...

And of course those other engines don't have Ken and Nathan...  :)

-Av-

jaydenbz2

• Galleria
  • Jaydenbz2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 07:30:58 AM »
I would like to know, Avatar, what is the BZC: Ancients status, I will do any hadean or cerberus voice overs for you, PM me for them.
:D

-Jaydenbz2-

Current Projects:
OV-Mod
Factions
CP2
-:[:::..JAYDENBZ2..:::]:-