Author Topic: Basic Philosophies  (Read 20452 times)

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
Re: Basic Philosophies
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
In my old mod I had planned, it showed that the olympians/hadeans were fighting the furies, and somewhere during their fight, the furies had infested icarus's moon, and when they destroyed the power generators, the furies left before the moon exploded.

Knowing this, and knowing their home planet was infested, I do believe that they would know that, if they destroyed the furies factories on their planet, the furies would just up and leave for earth or something agian. So, instead of doing that, they just destroyed their own planet, catching the furies by surprise.

Atleast, thats how I think it went down, based on what happened on achillies.

Ofc, my mod was centered around one of the olympian scientists making a time travel device to try to take the planet back from a point when it was not infested to now. The device survived the planets destruction and was found by ISDF. Then they accidently activated it, but it was damaged and ended up bringing the icarus from a time just prior to it's destruction into the present, and all those furies with it. == big mess :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:43:30 AM by General BlackDragon »

*****General BlackDragon*****

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2009, 02:21:33 PM »
Sounds interesting

Maybe Av should use the first part as an explanation for destroying the planet rather than the factories.

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
The Furies were all but destroyed when the Cthonians blew up their own planet. The way we blew up Achilles is not linked with the Cthonians, it is just because we did not make the Furies on Earth in the first place so we lucked out.

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Ded10c

• Loremaster, Archivist
  • Global Moderator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Wiki
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Ah well, worth a thought.

Wow, just noticed... I've nearly got every alternate post here for quite a while back, I'm taking over! :lol:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:14:33 PM by AHadley »

Raptor

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2009, 08:35:40 PM »
First off, I just now found out about this (been lost in WoW for the past few years), and I am *quite* excited about it.  Story sounds great, too.  Anywho, I was reading Rocketís post, and happened to know a few of the answers, so hopefully a four-month bump isnít minded.
#4: think about this... the mass of the planets gets smaller and smaller as you get further and further away from the sun, this applies to about all the planets, with the exception of mercury because if mercury was bigger, then it would easily be sucked into the sun, so it has to be small. Anyway, lets start with venus, venus is slightly larger then earth but it does not have any moons, then earth, it is smaller then venus but has a moon, and mars is little over 0.1 times the mass of the earth, but has two small moons. Then the asteroid belt, (insidently, in my opinion, icarus could not be larger then earth since it is located further from the sun then earth, and as you said, icarus had "heavier elements" then earth) and then jupiter, the gas giant, jupiter has about 317.82 times the mass of the earth, the reason why jupiter doesn't get pulled into the sun is because it is not all concentrated into one place, it's all spaced out, which allows it to stay far away from the sun rather then being pulled into it, (it would be if it was made of rock rather then light gases) if you were to take gas away from jupiter, so that it equaled the volume of earth, the amount taken from jupiter would be much lighter then earth. Anyway, as you get further away from the sun, the planets get relatively lighter and lighter, hence pluto, which is made of ice and rock, it is made of solid materials, but is miniscule in comparison to all the planets closer to the sun.

Basically, the reason the larger planets arenít sucked into the Sun has to do with them pulling on the Sun as well as being pulled.  Hence, planets can exist absurdly close to stars and not be sucked right in, i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiters .  Similarly, it doesnít matter whether Jupiter is a gas giant or a huge chunk or rock, it is stable in its orbit and wouldnít just be sucked in.

Also, Earth is larger than Venus, but Venusís atmosphere is much denser than Earthís (hence the BZ1 mention of modifications to make structures more sound). 

I was reading on theories of planetary formation, and it mentioned that, in our starís early years, the ďfrost lineĒ was actually in the middle of the asteroid belt.  Outside the frost line, the planetesimals would be significantly larger than inside, allowing them to accrue mass more quickly; hence why the gas giants are outside the frost line and the terrestrial planets are inside it.

We could manipulate this so that, by assuming that Icarus is about where the asteroid belt is, it could easily be larger than the Earth (and have a denser atmosphere, allowing it to retain heat well) just by being made of some of the larger planetesimals.  (Of course, if we want to be technical, no planet could actually form there due to Jupiterís interference)

Anywho, I vote for diamonds at the core of Jupiter/Saturn Ė lots of building material  (Arthur C. Clarke, anyone?).   Wikipedia says thereís a bunch of metallic hydrogen in the way, though.. =\
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:36:59 PM by Raptor »

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
It is mass and speed that effect orbital distance.

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.